Wow. Thanks to my friend (and animal rescue information hub) Barb, I am so happy to report that in less than 24 hours, the floodwaters that were consuming Tabasco, Mexico have been pumped out by the Mexican government, the local people have pitched in and the clean-up has already started.
The main reason that this horrible disaster has been taken under control so fast is that people in Tabasco were permitted back to their homes almost immediately. There is not the mass abandonment of animals we saw after Hurricane Katrina.
Although the floodwaters have been pumped out and the clean-up has begun, the locals still need food for their animals. Best Friends Animal Society is collecting donations for cat and dog food at the campus staging area:
Biology Campus of the University (â€œUJATâ€)
Universidad Juarez Autonoma de Tabasco
Division Academica de Ciencias Biologicas
KM 0.5 Entronque Bosques de Saloya, CP. 86150
Villahermaosa, Tabasco, Mexico
Phone: +52 (993) 358 15 00, +52 (993) 358 15 00
So, to recap:
- Best Friends Animal Society is wrapping up operations in Tabasco, Mexico.
- The floodwaters have been pumped out by the Mexican government.
- “We will not need additional help (volunteers) to wrap this up.” – Rich Crook
- Best Friends is holding the Campus camp open to those already there and/or local volunteers until further notice.
- Dog & Cat food still needed, but other supplies can be obtained locally until further notice.
- Local vets are set up to handle incoming animal issues.