U.S. Soldiers Caught on Video Abusing Dog

January 20, 2007

Just checked my email and received this from a friend of mine. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people? I can’t imagine what the soldiers have to go through each and every day over there, but there is absolutely NO excuse for abusing an animal. Clearly these soldiers are mentally ill and need help, but also they should be punished for abusing a helpless and already injured dog.

Animal advocates nationwide are horrified over a video allegedly taken from a CD found in Baghdad’s Green Zone. This video, which recently surfaced on the Internet, depicts what appear to be U.S. soldiers taunting and tormenting a seriously injured dog. Several men laugh while pitching rocks at the suffering animal. One participant proclaims, “That’s the funniest thing I’ve ever seen in my life!” as the dog yelps in pain and attempts to flee on two legs.

Causing animals to suffer unnecessarily is a crime in the United States, where citizens refuse to stand for such cruelty. One cannot imagine that this kind of behavior would be tolerated of any citizen, including our soldiers.

Please contact the secretary of defense and demand that the Department of Defense investigate this matter and hold responsible any soldier found to be involved in this incident. Also, be sure to forward this alert to your friends and family members and ask them to speak up today.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Mom January 21, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Sweetie, there is no way I’m going to look at that video… just the mere thought of it makes me feel sick. Clearly, the evil at the top of our administration has filtered down to the front line. It is important to bring this to the attention of those who can do something to punish and stop future abuse, but even more important, we must remember that we create more of whatever we focus on. So, once you get out your anger, visualize that dog being tenderly cared for and healed… and visualize what it looks like when all people and animals are happy and at peace… If you have to, FORCE yourself to conjure up positive images like these… trust me… it is the only way to make them come true… Trust me… Love you, Mom L*

Bug January 23, 2007 at 7:44 am

Ok I can’t even bring myself to watch it so I’ll have to take your word for it. I think your mom is spot on about what to do :) Smart lady you have there.

Jen February 10, 2007 at 11:26 am

I can’t believe I watched that video… I’m just sick over that. And why is it this is the first I’ve heard of it? Do people see it and say “that’s just too disturbing to forward on”?? Don’t they see, that’s the point… it needs to be seen.

I’m not gonna be very popular, but I’m forwarding that to everyone I know.

Thanks for the post.

jenomaha.blogspot.com

Jen February 10, 2007 at 11:29 am

I can’t believe I watched that.

Thanks for showing this. I do appreciate it, even though I feel a little sick now. And I’m a little disgusted I haven’t seen this on the news, or read about it anywhere else.

I’m forwarding it on…

jenomaha.blogspot.com

balou February 13, 2007 at 7:24 pm

I’m afraid to watch the video but it’s obvious whatever happened was horrible. Thought I’d share another story. My nephew, in the Army, was in Iraq for 8 months last year. Everytime we got pictures from him, there was his buddy – a dog he took under his wing while he was there. He said that dog felt like home and he had named it “Minnesota”. He wanted to bring it home with him but knew it would be a logistical nightmare. Instead when he returned home, he and his wife adopted a dog from a shelter to add to the family and named her “Minnesota.”

Guest February 14, 2007 at 6:16 pm

The way to make the world change is to force yourself to watch so you are not neive to the world. I am in Animal Rescue and watching these types of things are awful and painfully sad but that is what spurs people into action. These animals can not stand up for themselves. That is up to us. Thank you for posting this.

Aubrey Eastman
Colorado Springs

Guest February 15, 2007 at 6:16 pm

It is a sad thing to see, but after spending two years of my life over here, I understand what is going on. I have had several friends bitten when trying to help a dog in a similar situation. Dogs in Iraq and Afghanistan are not domesticated like dogs in the US. Most dogs over here are very dangerous if they haven’t been raised from near birth by an American. Animals are treated very poorly by locals. You would be disgusted by it. Do stop to think that by “funniest thing he had ever seen” had to do with the way the dog ran off on two legs? Don’t assume the worst of people unless you were there or have experienced what they have. I’m tired of people judging soldiers by what they “think” is going on, when in fact, they have no earthly idea, expect for second hand accounts and hear say, like this video. What happened prior to the start of the video? had the dog attacked one of the soldiers(a common occurence here)and none of them had the heart to put it down? And as far as the DoD investigating the matter, get real. There are bigger priorities like bringing them all home safe and protecting your right to complain about things.
Don’t get me wrong, I love animals. As a matter of fact, I have had a dog over here for the past 3 months and yesterday I assisted a vet in spaying her so she’ll have a better chance over here living on the camp.

A animal loving soldier

Guest February 15, 2007 at 6:21 pm

It is a sad thing to see, but after spending two years of my life over here I understand what is going on. I have had several friends bitten when trying to help a dog in a similar situation. Dogs in Iraq and Afghanistan are not domesticated like dogs in the US. Most dogs over here are very dangerous if they haven’t been raised from near birth by an American since locals do not value the life of animals at all. Do stop to think that by “funniest thing he had ever seen” had to do with the way the dog ran off on two legs? Don’t assume the worst of people unless you were there or have experienced what they have. I’m tired of people judging soldiers by what they “think” is going on, when in fact, they have no earthly idea, expect for second hand accounts and hear say, like this video. What happened prior to the start of the video? had the dog attacked one of the soldiers?(a common occurence here)and they didn’t have the heart to shoot it. And as far as the DoD investigating the matter, get real. There are bigger priorities like bringing them all home safe and protecting your right to complain about things.
Just don’t get me wrong, I love animals. As a matter of fact, I have had a dog over here for the past 3 months and yesterday I assisted a vet in spaying her so she’ll have a better chance over here living on the camp.

A animal loving soldier

NotImpressed May 22, 2007 at 1:58 am

To the soldier who posted his comments:

The Army is investigating this incident, after it was shown on the Youtube website.

The guy who thought it was the funniest thing that he had ever seen in his life is a f***** A******.

I’m an ex-soldier. What these idiots did was wrong. No excuse.

Do not even attempt to use combat stress as an excuse. It’s a factor but not an excuse.

This clip has been on the Youtube and has been seen by countless other peoples of all walks of life from around the world.

Go to Youtube and see what they think?

Every little action that you and everyone else does reflects upon you, the unit, the Army and the country.

If you have a brain, soldier, you better use it…like right now.

amanda July 30, 2007 at 10:57 pm

i cant believe i just watched th@ video….how cud sumbody ever do something like th@ 2 a dog….it made me cry….cant believe th@.they shd be arrrested 4 doin wat they did>>>