Vegan Rant

August 15, 2006

I really enjoy being vegan. After all, I wouldn’t be approaching the five-year mark if I didn’t. There are very few things that irritate me to the point of ranting about it, but there is one thing that pushes my buttons like no other and it’s going out to eat as a group with friends of friends (people who don’t know I’m vegan and/or don’t know much about veganism itself).

It’s not so much the fact that they look at me sideways when I order something out of the norm or ask about what ingredients are in a certain dish, but the fact that when it comes to splitting the bill “evenly”, I always, and I mean always, have to speak up so I don’t severely overpay or subsidize other people’s expensive meat-centered meals, sodas/alcohol, and the appetizers and desserts I can’t eat. (How’s that for a sentence!)

Let me tell you, that one aspect is the biggest pain in my ass. The real kicker is that I have to explain to them that I shouldn’t have to put in $20 or $30 for my water with lemon, $6.50 meal and share of the tip. One, it makes me feel like a huge dumbass for bringing it up, and two, if I subsidized everyone else’s meal every time I went out, I’d be so beyond broke right now.

You’d think they’d understand, right? Nope. I couldn’t be so lucky. The majority of the time, I am quietly stared at or oh-so-subtlety (sometimes not so subtly) mocked. Either for “being cheap” or making a fuss, or both.

It’s gotten to the point that I’m being antisocial and not going out for group meals anymore. So, yeah… that part of being vegan sucks banana. On the other hand, if you remove people’s ignorance and raging stupidity, being vegan is the best thing since freshly-baked, whole-grain sliced bread. :-D

What’s a vegan girl to do?

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

Morgan October 21, 2010 at 11:13 pm

You think approaching the five year mark is long haha, try being vegan fro birth, that’s a good 22 years

Stevie Anne April 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

It is really hard, I camp a lot and I always have to tell the people who are running it that I don’t eat meat, so they have to pack something that I can eat. Sometimes they are good about it but sometimes they are just jerks. And it sucks being hungery while canoeing through a provincal park.

Utopia August 15, 2006 at 1:31 pm

You know… the splitting meals thing is a universal problem. I’m not vegan and I still ahve the problem with people wanting me to subsidize their meals.

I am curious how far vegal you are. I mean, I know many vegans who won’t eat yeast bread because technically, yeast is alive (mmm… bacteria).

I personally could never be vegan. I would wither and die without my milk products. I love yogurt and cheese, not to mention eggs. I can’t eat rice as it makes my intestines bleed (literally) and I have similar problems when I eat too much soy, lentils or barley. This cuts out most of the vegan diet and the main protein sources of said diet.

I do try to eat healthy aside from that though. My breakfast and lunch are generally completely vegetarian (though not vegan).

Guest August 15, 2006 at 1:43 pm

When it’smy time to order I let the waiter/waitress know that I would like my order to be seperate from the group. I have noticed by doing that elminates the need to help the group out when it comes time to pay the bill.

Bug August 16, 2006 at 11:19 pm

I always get my own seperate bill…that way I don’t get screwed over by whatever cow is eating with me and thinks I should pony up for her app, main dish and dessert. (I eat very little at meals so “dinner” for me is usuall a $5 appitizer)

Rich August 17, 2006 at 12:53 am

The splitting thing is universal. There are just a bunch of cheap people out there who try to get away with throwing a five or a ten in the pot for their meal when they know that their appetizer cost that much. Then there is the tip. They leave a buck. That ought to be grounds for a noodle whipping.

Guest August 17, 2006 at 12:39 pm

My wife and I get the same thing when we go out for drinks with people. My wife doesn’t drink and since I usually drive I end up with a coke, too. So, everyone else downs 2-3 beers and shots and all — and then seem confused that we don’t want to pay an equal share of the final bill.

It’s not being cheap — it’s not being taken advantage of. I agree with the idea of asking to have your check seperate from the get-go.. that’s going to be our approach from now on. :)

Superfuzz August 17, 2006 at 1:18 pm

Yup. I know how it is. I used to be a vegetarian and every time I said no to chicken in a resteraunt or something everyone would give me weird looks. I feel your pain. ;-)

Ilona August 21, 2006 at 9:53 pm

I agree … nothing wrong with that. Ask for a separate check.