Back to School

August 1, 2006

Tonight I am registering for my Fall semester classes. It seems like it’s been forever since I was in school. Come to think of it, by the time I head back, it’ll have been nine months!

Right smack in the middle of Fall ’05 semester, Hurricane Katrina made landfall. Like everyone else, I never thought it was as bad as it really was. I continued going to classes and sent a few charities some money.

Then my birthday came in mid-September and I couldn’t celebrate it. There is more to that story than just the hurricane, but the horror we were all seeing on television added to the depression I usually feel around my birthday. The more I thought about it, the stronger I was being pulled towards New Orleans. It wasn’t until another month had past until I decided that I just had to be there to help with animal rescue.

I did help and ultimately made three trips over there, from when I first flew over on November 1 ’05 to when I returned home the day before Mardi Gras on February 28 ’06. I lived in Louisiana a total of 85 days. During that time I came to really see my tent as home. ;-)

Anyway, it’ll be nice to get back into my studies again. I haven’t spoken with my teachers since I returned, so hopefully they don’t think I dropped out. My wish is that this semester will be completely uneventful and the only “disaster” I’ll have to worry about is getting a bad grade on my final.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Jill Warner August 1, 2006 at 3:07 pm

When is your bday??? I am Sept 15….
Good for you for helping the animals.
I am an Academic Advisor in a University (just fyi)!

Binary Blonde August 1, 2006 at 3:12 pm

Very cool, Jill! I always admired my advisors. They kept pushing me to explore my love of the sciences and I’m so glad they did.

My birthday is September 17. Nice to meet another Virgo. :-)

Bug August 1, 2006 at 4:24 pm

Hey I emailed ya at your binaryblonde.com addy, hope that’s the right one! Lemme know if ya don’t get it!

Rachey August 2, 2006 at 4:30 am

Hey!
I’m back to uni in autumn too, but mine is in the UK! Good luck with the studies!

Bunny August 2, 2006 at 6:02 am

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting, it really means a lot to know people out there care. I’m so sorry about your cat Sophie and that my story made you cry.

Good luck with school in the fall, and I’ll be hoping for no disasters as well.

*big hugs*

Caryn August 2, 2006 at 2:26 pm

That’s great that you were able to help out so much. Best wishes on your upcoming semester!

Randy November 2, 2006 at 7:06 am

Hey it’s been awhile.I found the business card you gave me to send you the video I am still making. It’s Randy from Illinois “The Illinois Boys” with R.A.I.N. Rescuing Animals In Need. I was at the Celebration Center in Jan. Yes this year on the 1 year was really hard I lost it I don’t know how many times.I’m still working on the N.O. Video. Waiting on some more footage to put in it. I have you on there a couple of times. There is a short video I made real quick just to get something up on my website. It’s http://www.nopitbullban.com go to the New Oreleans page. And there’s a link in the middle of the page.Your site is very cool. I will look at it more later. It going to be 17 degrees here in Illinois tonight I’ve got alot of stuff to keep warm so I gotta boogie. take Care hope all is good. Randy