Tattooed!

March 13, 2006

Pawprint Tattoo After years of pining over getting a tattoo, I finally got one. A black paw print on the underside of my left wrist. It’s simple, unique (not out of a book) and small, only about an inch by inch in size. I adore it. It means so much to me, on many levels.

I called my mother from New Orleans a few days before I went and gave her updates about what was going on with me, the happenings there, etc.. I also blurted out, “And I’m going to get a tattoo”. Her response? “Cool! You’ve wanted one for years. I’m surprised you haven’t gotten one yet”!

It was done by Walt Clark on February 23rd at Rings of Desire, a piercing shop near the French Quarter. He was a guest tattoo artist there for only a short time. A friend of mine, Mark Morgan, also got a tattoo at the same time. His was much more elaborate and included a full-color cat on his shoulder. I’ll have to bug him for a photo. It really is a cool tattoo. UPDATE: Here’s a post, including a photo, of Mark’s blue cat tattoo!

I wanted to wait until it healed somewhat to take photos. It’s still not 100% healed, but I was anxious to share. A few people warned me that I will have this when I’m 80 years old. You know what? That makes me happy. I’ll look down at my wrinkly old skin, with my tattoo all faded and remember my time in New Orleans, remember all the animals I helped save and be able to show my grandchildren a relic of my youth. Neat.

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 31 comments… read them below or add one }

Ramiros September 21, 2009 at 8:52 am

“After years of pining over getting a tattoo, I finally got one”

don’t tell me. It tooks 6 long years to me to decide to get my first tattoo. a little tribal on my ankle. Two years after I have now 6 tattoos. The last one, the one I am mostly proud of, is quite big, it’s an Hindi tattoo design on my back. It covers more or less half the whole back starting from the lower back to the blades. I am getting addicted!

S Trevorrow February 18, 2010 at 10:54 am

Cool article!! I love tattoos. I have them everywhere, I started when I was 19 and still havn’t stopped!!! I think that people need to understand that tattoos are not just sexy but they are artistic too!!! Keep up the good work my fellow tattoo seeker!!!

simon February 23, 2010 at 11:44 am

Very good article, tattoos are great but i’m a sucker 4 back tattoos!! there are some bad tattoos around but if u take your time in choosin one then the chances are that you’l b happy ever after with your choice!

.-= simon’s last blog ..Tattoos,Lower Back Tattoos, Shoulder tattoos, Wrist tattoos – your helpful guide. … =-.

jess February 28, 2010 at 3:29 am

hi there! do you have a more close up shot of your tattoo? is there something in one of the toepads? i’m thinking about getting a similar tattoo to yours, and interested in finding out a bit more before i ‘do the deed’ :D thanks!

Binary Blonde March 19, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Hi Jess! There is nothing in the paw pads, though I can see why you think there might be. What you may be seeing is the swelling of the skin, and therefore, the raising of the ink. When I took that photo, it was a very new tat. :-) If you’re thinking about it as much as I think you are, I encourage to you get it or something similar. The placement is perfect and I still adore it. I have NEVER regretted getting it! Good luck!

Ash July 18, 2011 at 12:59 am

It hasn’t been 6 years for me but for a while now I’ve wanted a tattoo but I’ve never been able to think of anything that means enough to me to make a tattoo out of. The one thing I know I love is not only my cat but all cats. One night I was searching for ideas and stumbled upon this page with the picture of your tattoo. I adore it and I’m getting closer and closer to making the appointment and going for something very similar. It’s so perfect and simple and definitely isn’t something that could ever lose it’s meaning! Thank you for the inspiration :-)

Getting A Tattoo March 30, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Awesome…i think alot of time people forget that is the importance the tat brings to the owner not others…my first tat was special to me also. Congrats!

Jonathan March 31, 2010 at 12:23 am

Simple and yet means so much to someone. That is what a tattoo should be. Well, at least it should mean something to the person.

Also, congratulations on your first tattoo :D
.-= Jonathan’s last blog ..Libra Tattoo Showcase One =-.

Juicer Guru June 29, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I like your tat – simple, yet effective.
Took me 10 years to work up the courage to get my tattoo done! I have a color one. Yellows & blues with white highlighting to give a gold and silver effect.
It’s a celtic knot with a heart interlinked. Fairly complex design and I love it.
Lots of friends say how cool it is but it has real meaning to me – and to my way of thinking that’s how it should be. Get a tat because it means something special.

I wonder if simple-tattoo-with-meaning will let complex tattoo with meaning be a member?

Seeya, John

Kevin@How To Get My Ex Back December 3, 2010 at 9:34 pm

That’s a really cool tattoo. I have been contemplating on getting a tattoo for ages now. Don’t know when I will have the courage to actually get one.

Andrew February 23, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Nice Tattoo…

KnowAll May 6, 2011 at 8:48 pm

A tattoo of any sort or meaning is for the braindead & shortsighted among us. You don’t know into the future if it will still hold the same significance – which it more than likely won’t. So it is a far safer and wiser idea to buy a nice piece of jewellery (a pendant or ring etc.) as a reminder of some special occasion or person.

John May 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm

@KnowAll: What a crock! Where do you get off insulting people expressing themselves?

If you get a tattoo to remind you of a loved one who has passed or some other significant happening in your life, that event is still going to be significant and you’re still going to loved the deceased 10. 20, 30 years down the road.

I have a celtic tattoo designed by myself which represents my wife, children and the circle of life – at what point will I not want to be reminded of my love for them? I love them dearly no matter what the future may bring.

I think the only one being braindead & short sighted here is yourself but I think we could possibly add narrow minded and repressed to the equation.

Jane Levington May 18, 2011 at 3:30 am

That was a cute tattoo! It is simple yet unique. Tattoos are artistic and amazing. I know more people would like to have one like this. This is an awesome article! Thank you for sharing this to the readers like me.

Sophia August 3, 2011 at 11:53 am

I love the tattoo. My beloved chihuahua died unexpectedly in November. He was hit by a car. The vet sent a laminated paw print of his in the sympathy card. I treasure that memory and wanted to get his actual print tattooed. I just can´t pick a place on my body. As soon as I decide I will do it.

alauna October 10, 2011 at 3:22 pm

@Sophia:
how about your shoulder, heart, or behind your ear? im getting a heart and paw print tattoo behind my ear in januuary. you could loook at designs for your dogs actual pawprint on google (like if you want a heart around it or name below it etc.) but i think the best places for that specific tat shood go on the shoulder heart or behind the ear. hope i helped! :)

Lisa September 20, 2011 at 10:25 pm

That is awesome! I’ve always wanted to get a tatoo also, but have never had the courage to actually go through with it. My hat is totally off to you for going for it!

Sarah May 6, 2012 at 3:47 am

I love your tattoo! I really want a similar one, but I think I’m still a little too young for that; I’m only 16 years old. I’ve wanted it for a year or something, and I still do. It does have a meaning for me but I’m afraid I will regret it later…

Sandip Mukherjee May 23, 2012 at 3:06 am

I love tattoo. But never took risk of getting one. :) Nice one.

jeannine August 15, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I was just googling paw tattoos, and I love this one. Only because my dog means so much to me.

Mom March 13, 2006 at 11:27 am

Many people may prefer not to remember the events following Katrina, but it’s important not to forget. Your tattoo represents something positive that you did for many of this administration’s victims in Katrina’s wake, both human and animal. And it also marks an extraordinary time in your own life. Pretty amazing. Good job! Love you!

George Leger III March 21, 2006 at 1:27 am

It’s a cat tat! Very cool C…..

George, Moms hubby ;-)

Melissa March 13, 2006 at 12:19 pm

I agree with “Mom”… your mom or just a Mom? Just kidding… I think it’s a very appropriate one and will definitely hold meaning for you and everyone you share it with…forever.

You probably don’t remember me, but I’m the one that was in the C/S restroom when we were both standing at the mirror and I said, “hey, don’t you have a…” before I could finish, you gave the smirk of recognition… as if to answer, “yes, I have a website”.

I had a very short stint at C/S for eight truly wonderful days and met so many wonderful people there. I’m hoping Binet made his long flight to Canada very well.

Melissa
=^..^=

may-may March 13, 2006 at 6:18 pm

that is such a great tattoo! i love it and its significance :)

Tara March 14, 2006 at 10:28 am

I love it and congrats on joining the simple tattoo with meaning club! ;) A paw was a good idea, especially for you. My mom was also supportive when I got mine several years ago, it’s also small and cute and has a personal meaning to me.

Ilona March 15, 2006 at 7:47 am

Nifty! I like it :)

lemming March 16, 2006 at 8:31 pm

Mark here:
Yours is looking good. I’ll get a new picture of mine to send to you in a bit.
And Beignet is doing very well according to Crystal & Ron.

suki March 16, 2006 at 9:12 pm

cute tattoo there! :)

Mik March 17, 2006 at 7:23 pm

That’s a pretty cool, discreet tattoo and a nice reminder of all the great rescue work you did.

Mik

Mindy April 19, 2007 at 10:47 am

Cheers to you! What a cool story. You and your mom both rock!

I have a small tattoo on the underside of my left wrist as well. It is a very intricate scorpion. No story behind it except that I’m a Scorpio.

Binary Blonde March 15, 2006 at 3:51 am

Mom: As always, thank you for your support!

Melissa: Beignet is doing very well in his new home. I plan on blogging an update about him soon (and as soon as I get my ass in gear and email Crystal for photos!).

May-May: Thank you!

Tara: Hey, thank ya! I didn’t know a simple-tattoo-with-meaning club existed, but it’s nice to be a member. So, now you’ve piqued my curiosity, what’s your tattoo of?